Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Note To Self....
Never charge into a gaggle of geese. Especially with your baby.
Claire and I spent an afternoon scouting out locations for her first birthday portraits to be taken. One of our stops was at Bethel Mill Park. The leaves had just started to change color and Claire clapped and clapped as a few of the leaves fell from the trees and onto her head. It was so sweet. Her first Fall! (Well, kind of. She was too little last year, right?) Claire's excitement continued to grow as we walked along the paths. She squealed at the squirrels scurrying from tree to tree and was absolutely beside herself when we came upon this group of geese... Would that be a gaggle? :)
I thought it would be funny to charge into the group (sorry can't bring myself to use gaggle seriously) and catch Claire's expression as the geese scattered. What I didn't expect was the geese to turn on US! I charged into the geese and ran a few steps away with my camera. A few of the geese scattered, but a few defiantly turned and started hissing. I made a move towards the stroller to get Claire out of there, but this one nasty goose started ruffling its feathers and causing quite a commotion. It locked eyes with Claire and it was obvious it wasn't happy with my baby girl who kept pointing and yelling at the top of her lungs "DUCK!" "DUCK!" "DUCK!"
Eventually I got up the nerve to rescue poor Claire from the angry hissing goose. I'm not sure if Claire will remember her first encounter with a "Duck", but I know I won't forget it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's something about the way Claire looks in this picture that makes her look so much like her mommy. Her eyes, maybe? I love it! Glad your little girl survived her first gaggle-fest!

jackie said...

Claire looks completely shocked in the bottom pick. She probably can't believe that she was charged by a "Duck" or that her mom actually used the word GAGGLE!

Anonymous said...

hilarious!!! and i know....gaggle...and you DID use it seriously!! did you google the word gaggle?

Anonymous said...

There has always been a long fascination with ducks and the McQuaids. It seems there is a bit of Grand Pa Phil in that photo. Just look at the way she is looking at those ducks and geese.
Uncle, Mike

Anonymous said...

Now we see that she really likes
"ducks"! Ehhh, close enough right?


-
Olivia and Jackson