Thursday, July 24, 2008

UPDATE for those of you waiting and wondering.............
Unfortunately we still do not have a definite date of Keira's homecoming, but the doctors are assuring us that it is just around the corner! It is looking like next week we will be able to finally bring our little girl home. The hold up is her oxygen. Keira's doctors are going to try to wean her off the oxygen over the next few days. There's no promise that she will be coming home without needing it, but they are going to test her out and see how she does with lower and lower amounts. Right now she is weaned down to 1/4 liter. This probably means nothing to you, but it has something to do with the pressure of the air flow she receives through the cannula. To give you a reference point, she started out at 3 liters....moved down to 2 liters...then 1....then 1/2....and now she's at 1/4 liter and is requiring about 25-30%. (Remember I explained that 21% is room air and is our target number). We're getting there!

She is continuing to do well feeding all by herself. The nurses always comment how excited she gets when she sees the bottle. Her blue eyes get really big, she puts her little hands on the sides of her face (think of the "Home Alone" face) and then she sucks her milk right down as if they've been starving her! She can be a little pokey when I'm nursing her. She'll get right down to business and then look up at me like "What do you want?" Then she seems to forget all about being hungry and just wants to stare at me. This should be fun during a 3:00am feeding, don't you think? That's when I'll be happy I have that huge stash of frozen breastmilk bottles in the freezer, right?
Stay tuned! I'll definitely post as soon as we get any more news concerning Keira's Homecoming!!


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

she is going to be so happy to meet her 'big' sister and her 'doggie' and her room and her house ........
I am so excited for you all!
love,
Gramma

Anonymous said...

The BEST news ever!!! I am so excited for all of you. I can't wait to meet her!

Karen said...

Can't wait to meet her too! Thinking of you guys all the time. Here's to a smooth transition into her new bed at home!

Anonymous said...

The Home Alone analogy was awesome. It will be so fun to see how her little personality develops! Keeping my fingers crossed that she comes home soon...

Unknown said...

What wonderful news.....we are so excited for you all to know that Keira will be coming home soon!!!

Anonymous said...

we need new pictures

Marcie said...

I know she's coming. I'm checking the blog from vacation for crying out loud. Update us!!!

Anonymous said...

she has NO time, Marse! ;)
momma