So with Keira's respiratory issues becoming less of a concern, we now have a new area to worry about...her weight gain. Keira is 14 pounds and 25 inches. While that is a HUGE growth since her birth 11 months ago, it is just two pounds heavier than she weighed the first week in December. Keira was gaining a pound every two weeks, but that weight gain has obviously dropped off. I've mentioned it several times to our pediatrician, but he has been in the mindset that as long as she isn't losing weight, it's not a problem. CHOP's take was a little different. They were more interested in WHY she isn't gaining. They asked us a series of questions and came to the conclusion that Keira likely has reflux. Not uncommon for babies and especially not preemies. I've been thinking this for awhile now, but didn't push it because we really trust and value our pediatrician's opinion. CHOP prescribed baby Zantac and gave us the instructions to mix her formula a little differently to add extra calories. We hope this helps our little one pack on some pounds!
Friday, March 27, 2009
So with Keira's respiratory issues becoming less of a concern, we now have a new area to worry about...her weight gain. Keira is 14 pounds and 25 inches. While that is a HUGE growth since her birth 11 months ago, it is just two pounds heavier than she weighed the first week in December. Keira was gaining a pound every two weeks, but that weight gain has obviously dropped off. I've mentioned it several times to our pediatrician, but he has been in the mindset that as long as she isn't losing weight, it's not a problem. CHOP's take was a little different. They were more interested in WHY she isn't gaining. They asked us a series of questions and came to the conclusion that Keira likely has reflux. Not uncommon for babies and especially not preemies. I've been thinking this for awhile now, but didn't push it because we really trust and value our pediatrician's opinion. CHOP prescribed baby Zantac and gave us the instructions to mix her formula a little differently to add extra calories. We hope this helps our little one pack on some pounds!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I talked to Aunt Karla last night and Kristen was 16 lbs at a year!
A teeny tiny...
not sure of the timing of her weight gains, tho.
Hope the acid reflux meds help :)
She is a beautiful little baby :)
(gramma is partial to her grandbabies, tho :)
I know I should be commenting on the health concerns and I do care and hope all is well but can we talk about this outfit and how damn cute she looks in it? Oh my God, I could eat her up! She just gets prettier and prettier every post. (that goes for her big sister too)
Post a Comment