Last night was our long awaited sleep study with Keira at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.
This was the study that the doctors were going to use to determine what Keira's respiratory needs are....or more specifically, determine if we can GET RID OF THE OXYGEN AND MONITORS FOR GOOD!
The study began with my anxieties pretty high. Steve ended up having to do a work presentation that night and would not be able to stay overnight with me, it was pouring rain and I was driving into Philly with a ton of traffic that got us to the hospital 35 minutes late. After Keira and I got settled into the room and I changed her and fed her, the technicians came in and attached electrodes to her head, face, chest, stomach and legs. They then wrapped her head in gauze to hold the electrodes in place. Belts were wrapped around her chest and abdomen. A cannula was placed in her nose and a pulse ox probe attached to her foot. And last but not least, little casts were velcroed on her arms to prevent her from bending them and reaching to pull at the wires. This also kept her from sucking her thumb. :( Needless to say, it was horrible. Keira cried and screamed and kicked and looked at me with the saddest eyes while reaching for me. I felt so helpless. My heart, completely broken. When the techs were done attaching her to the monitors, they left me alone in the room with a completely distraught baby. I rocked her until she finally fell asleep. Her little legs were wrapped around me just like she used to do when I *kangarooed* her in the NICU. I couldn't help but think about just how far we've come since then.
Here are pictures of her when I put her back into her crib.
Keira must have felt the new freedom too because right after I got the doctor's call, she CRAWLED! For the first time! On all fours all the way to my laptop which was lying on the floor! After all these months of physical therapy and all my worrying, she did it! Someone please pass me some tissues. I've been a weepy mess all day. All these ups and downs in just 24 hours and this mommy is spent! Whew! Oh, and a glass of wine would be nice too........ ;)
4 comments:
That is the best news!!!!! I am so excited for all of you!!! We love you Keira!!!
I put off reading this post because it was so long, but I wish I read it sooner.. This is terrific!! I felt almost like crying reading how they strapped everything to her and she must have been so uncomfortable and couldn't even such her thumb :-(
Also, I am so proud of her for crawling for the very first time! I'm so happy for you guys!
God Bless that fiesty little girl!!
I'm so proud of her too!
gramma
Oh the memories of the evil steel cage/crib! I can only imagine how helpless you (and Keira) felt while they were prepping her for the study. And afterwards...geez! You should have buzzed the aloof nurses for a bottle of wine in the room. I'm so proud of you and Keira for making it through this long night! Your true story proves that GREAT things come with patience. After this ordeal, y'all are both saints in my eyes.
Post a Comment