Saturday, August 28, 2010

Keira, 28 months
22 lbs 8 oz

Today I had to do a double take when I looked at Keira. When did she get to be such a big girl?
It's been a while since I've done a Keira Update. Where to start?
Keira started speech therapy in June and her speech is blossoming. Literally every day she is saying something new and favorite little two word phrases ("I'm sorry", "What happened?", "Go outside?") are now growing to three word phrases and even sentences ("I go downstairs." "I can't open it"). The crazy baby babble is still there too, but it is getting easier and easier for her to articulate what she needs or wants to get across. The other day she was outside on the deck and started screaming. I came running out to find her face all tear streaked and her hand red. "Buggy in wudder....ouchy....my hand!!!" Sure enough, I looked in her play kitchen's sink that was full of water from the afternoon's rain, and there was a bee. The bad news is that he stung Keira's hand, but the good news is that she was able to TELL me that it had happened. If you would have told me six months ago that Keira's speech would have improved so quickly, I would never have believed you!

Keira's playing a lot better with her big sister. She still loves imaginary play and can be kept busy for pretty long periods of time playing "mommy" to her babies or with her Little People figures. She adores the Little Mermaid just like Claire and screams "A-YEE-EL" whenever she sees Ariel and immediately begins "AHH-AHH-AHH" to the tune of one of Ariel's songs. Keira can now jump ("Chooomp") and climb up and down the stairs while holding onto the railing. She enjoys coloring ("I caww-ler") and playing with playdoh. She's pretty good with puzzles these days and decorating papers with stickers ("stickeys").

Keira loves Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and can say all of the characters names:
Mickey
Mi-nay (Minnie)
Daw-nald (Donald)
Day-thee (Daisy)
Pau-lo (Pluto)
Phee Phee (Goofy)
and can sing the theme song.

She's also starting to say names. She's been saying Mommy and Daddy for quite a while, but now we can add Starla, Care (Claire), Mamma (Gramma), Happy (Pappy), Marcie, and Kalvi (Kalvis) to the list!

Keira loves to dance especially to Beyonce's "Single Ladies". She'll actually take the remote to the stereo and demand "OH OH OH".
Keira recently has gotten a lot more cuddly. She gives "huggies" and loves to be held and kissed. Conversely, she has also learned to throw temper tantrums and will scream her head off if she's not happy about something. She's gotten really good at throwing herself on the floor while kicking and punching. Fun! Lucky for us though that she gives more huggies than tantrums and we're crossing our fingers that the tantrums are soon outgrown!

Her eating is still pretty hit or miss. We have some good eating days and then some terrible weeks. She's not losing weight, but hasn't gained lately either. Although she's not a big eater, she does have some favorites: Cheerios, "Hot Ducks" (hot dogs), spaghetti, "Yagurt" (yogurt), "Voovees" (smoothies), chicken, sweet potato french fries, "Aw Puth" (Ice Pops) and "Ba-nays" (bananas). I'm trying really hard to not stress about her eating habits or sloooooow weight gain. We're still seeing a GI at CHOP so I guess when she gets worried, I'll get worried. For now, I am trying to RELAX!




3 comments:

Aunt Elizabeth said...

Hot Ducks?!?! Can anyone possibly be more adorable?

Linda Devlin said...

She is a beauty... and smart!
We just need to fatten her up :)
She loves Old McDonald song to dance to at gramma's too :)

Marcie said...

After reading this I really can't wait to see that little sweetheart. Tell her I'll make her a hot duck.