While holding Keira she started rooting around as if she wanted to nurse. We tried for a few minutes, but she didn't latch on like she did the last time. Instead she just stared up at me with the biggest eyes. It was as if she was taking in every detail. Even the nurse made a comment that Keira was really checking out her mommy. I asked when bottle feeding would be introduced and Nurse Lisa explained that Keira is of the right age, but may not be respiratory ready just yet. The whole suck/swallow/breathe/keep your body temperature skill is one that is very tricky for a preemie and usually one that takes them a while to get the hang of. She did feel that Keira was making strides towards getting to that point though and encouraged me to try feeding her just a little from the bottle. I did (with Lisa next to me) and Keira sucked the small amount (10 ml) down with only a few alarms and ended with a little spit up and 2 giant burps. First bottle....another milestone reached!
It's funny how we take the skill of eating for granted. Baby gets hungry and screams....Downs bottle and goes to sleep, right? Not true for a preemie. Keira had to actually learn how to respond to her hunger first. Earlier, she would sleep regardless of being hungry and even sleep right through being fed by her tube. It wasn't until just this week that she has learned how to act hungry. She now wakes about a half hour before it's her mealtime and fusses a little and roots around with her mouth looking for food. It seems so simple, but the doctors assure me that this is an important step towards her readiness to eat on her own (minus the tube). It really is amazing that Steve and I are getting to actually see these changes happening with our daughter when all of this development should be taking place while in the womb. I guess it's why the nurses often joke that her isolette is a "Womb with a View".
P.S. Since yesterday's post Keira gained 4 ounces! She now weighs 3 pounds 12 ounces!

7 comments:
This had to be such a great visit with Keira. She is so beautiful and getting so big. If you would like I can come babysit so you can go get that manicure. You deserve it mommy.
With out this blog many of us would be wondering and worrying about how things are. It's so awesome to see the progress Keira is making. Thanks for sharing. I anticipate checking the blog one day very soon and reading the news Keira is home. Lots of love to all.
I just love the picture of her with the bottle..
I am happy crying at work...
mom (aka .. grandma) :)
I agree. Thanks for the blog. Instead of being racked with worry, we're able to see Keira growing so big and strong. Soon she'll be four pounds, the little chub! HA! So happy for you. Love, Karen and Paige
Look at the way she's looking at you! I'm crying right along with your mom! : )
Keira is such a strong little girl. Before you know it she'll be coming home. xoxo!
Unbelievable!! And I 100% agree about being updated!! i can't WAIT to always check out your blog to hear all the details + pics to go along with them...then we can save our phone conversations for complaining, catching up on celebrity gossip, discussing wall paint & baby accessories etc. without feeling any guilt! love you guys.
thank you so much for sharing corey! esp as it is 4am and i am feeding my "starving" big boy and take it for granted that he knows what he's doing. thanks for making me take a breath and slow things down so i can look into his eyes a bit longer, even though i am tired in the middle of the morn and want to go to bed myself. :)
every little one is such a miracle... you remind me of this every day so THANK YOU!!!
love aunt goochie :)
ps HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Post a Comment